Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Stash Report, Week 29

One thing about getting the housework done before sewing - my floors are now clean enough to do this!


I'm taking a break from piecing this top, which will be done today!  We have thunderstorms rumbling through and my dog, Daisy, is needing comforting (she kept getting under my foot while I was trying to sew).

I am counting it in as complete, as I am determined it will be done.  I have a stack of tops that need to be quilted and this one has to get off the table to make room!

Used this Week:  10.75 metres
Used year to Date: 60.75 metres
Added this Week: 0 metres
Added Year to Date: 49.15 metres
Net Used for 2012: 11.6 metres

It sounds like a lot for a lap quilt, but I used the total amount included in the kit, which included enough for the binding and the borders. By my calculations, there should be enough over left to piece almost the entire back, if not all.  It'll be like getting two quilts in one! Of course, that means I won't be able to add to my totals when it is completely finished, but now I'm accountable to getting it done!

I've taken the last row off, as it is too long and skinny for my tastes, and I want it as a lap quilt, so I don't need to make it wider.  I'll piece the extra blocks into the backing, so there won't be any waste.


(Pardon the blurry pictures and the bare toes - it was early when I took these pics!)

This was a kit, and the directions were not quite right (or I didn't cut them right - more likely!). I was short a few sashing strips.  But there is plenty left over, so I probably could have even made 6 more blocks if I wanted to make it twin-size.  I don't mind having leftovers, all the better to increase my stash for scrappy quilts.



Once I was able to get my "helper" out of the way,  I played with the blocks to make sure I didn't have two the same together.  Some of my blocks have decent contrast:



Some - not so much (I talked more about this here):



Since this was a mystery quilt and the fabrics were a kit, I had invested too much into it (both time and money) to make drastic changes, since it is just a lap quilt for me anyway.  I think once I have put it all together and finished the machine quilting, I going to outline the inner block shapes with some chunky handstitching in a dark brown perle cotton.  That will probably make them pop a bit more.

One thing about taking pictures, it makes it easier to spot mistakes.  Can you find which one of these blocks has one? This block has been culled to be placed on the back!


It has brightened up outside so hopefully the thunder has rolled away.  We rarely get thunder and lightning here, but it's been pretty unsettled since Friday.  We had one crack of thunder that right over head, and set off car alarms, and Daisy has been jumpy ever since.  One of the neighbours thinks the lightning hit the ground just around the corner but we didn't lose power or even have rain - although just 10 minutes away at the mall, they did!  Now that she has calmed down a bit, I'm going back to finish this top!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!