Sunday, December 1, 2013

Celtic Solstice, Organizing

 
This is the third Bonnie Hunter mystery I have participated in, and along the way, I have developed a few tricks that I thought I would share.
 
First up, I have a binder specifically for my Bonnie Hunter clues and patterns.

 
Now that I finished Easy Street, I have taken it out of the binder and recycled it (if I need it again, I'll have Bonnie's new book that will be coming out in the spring). 

 
As I print each part, I flag it with a post-it note (I also recycled those!)
 
 
I keep the templates needed for this mystery in a page protectors, and I have the instructions for my leader-ender project front and centre!  This year, I am doing Moth in a Window blocks for 2 quilts for my sons-in-law. (I remove Bonnie's Addicted to Scraps articles from Quiltmaker magazine and put them in this binder for easy reference; I also print any free patterns I want to make in the near future)

 
All of the units for Easy Street finished at 3 1/2", and since I don't have a 3 1/2 square (not even sure if there is one), I put guidelines on one of my 4 1/2 squares to make it easier to square up!  I've been able to put it to good use already for Celtic Solstice.

 
Pardon the photo angle, it looks like it doesn't line up but it does. 
 
 
I used  Glow-Line Tape bought at my favourite Local Quilt Shop, Hamels Fabrics to mark the block.  I also use this easily-removed tape to mark guidelines on my sewing machines as well as my rulers. I have also marked my 6 x 12" ruler at the 2 1/2" line (from the opposite side, that gives me a 3 1/2" measurement. It has saved me from a lot of mistakes.
 
Next up, on Monday morning, I'll share some cutting tips and my progress with Step One.
 
Thanks for visiting,
 
Terri in BC
 
 





1 comment:

  1. I'm new to quilting and am wondering if the quiltmaker magazine is worth purchasing as I'll be purchasing from Australia the price is a little bit higher for me, or is it an advanced magazine. I keep seeing Bonnie's article in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!